Friday, April 24, 2009

InFlAmMaTiOn!

What is painful, red, hot, and begins to swell? That is inflammation! Inflammtion occurs when tissues are injured by bacteria or viruses. The damaged tissue releases chemicals including histamine and kinins, these chemicals casue blood vessels to leak fluid into the tissues causing swelling.

The chemicals attract white blood cells called phagocytes that "eat" microorganisms (dead or damaged cells) These phagocytes will eventually die. ) Vasodilation and increased permeability of blood vessels. 2) Phagocytes go from teh bllod into the interstitial fluid 3) Tissue Repair.

The immune response is how your body recognizes and defends itseld against viruses and diseases that appear forgien and harmful to the body. Antigens are molecules on the surface of cells, viruses, and bacteria. The immune system recognizes and destroy the substances that contain these antigens. In my body, and yours, we have protiens in our antigens. Our immune system learns to read and recognize these special antigens as "normal".

My dad's mother, Nellie. Never exercised properly, smoke cigarettes, and always had troubles since Icould remember with her legs and ankles swelling. She didn't really have any lesions, but I suppose she could of without me even knowing. Does smoking and not exercise have to do with excess swelling? My guess is yes but I am not completely sure.

2 comments:

  1. Tena,
    I too have these types of relatives with leg swelling problems. Most I have also notice shake the salt shaker for minutes not seconds at supper table. There are probably more issues than we know about going on with these relatives. I know that CHF(congestive heart failure) is responsible for edema in some people. The CHF is caused by everything you mentioned above.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny you mentioned that, Betty. My mom just told me my grammy needs to take medicine for CHF. Thank you for responding! You helped me out alot! =]

    ReplyDelete