Friday, April 24, 2009

Circulatory System

As we learned in class, there is an average of 5 liters of blood circulating throughout our vody at all times. The heart, lungs, and blood vessels work as one. The heart forces the blood to begin it's journey though the body. The circulatory system has three different parts, pulmonary, coronary, and systemic circulation. Pulmonary=lungs, Coronary=heart, and the rest of the system=Systemic. Each part is needed in order for the entire bodies systems to work all together.

It transports nutrients, oxygen, and water to the body cells, carries away waste. Learning the heart beats about 3 billion times throughout a person's life. Also we learned how important it really is to exercise, eat healthy, and not to smoke. Exercising on a regular basis, keeps the body moving and allows the blood to pump constantly.

Did you know about half the blood is made of Plasma, I didn't until I read over in information. Plasma carries blood cells and other components throughout the body. It's also made in teh Liver.

It seems as if the Liver is a major organ, which no doubt it is. But, id reminds me of last summer when i woke up at 6 am to a horrible side pain. I couldn't breathe it was so intense! I arrived at the hospital to have the doctors load me up on pain meds, and some to find out, had a kidney stone..at the age of 18!! Isn't that a bit young??

1 comment:

  1. When my son was about 2 months old I too have a kidney stone. I was only 19. They thought that is was caused from too much calcium. The pain was SO intense that I literally thought that I was in labor again. The only difference was that labor contractions subside for a few minutes, the kidney pain didnt. My stone was 3mm big and my kidney was twice its normal size. Its amazing to think that the kidney has that much elasticity.

    Back to blood... I didnt realize how significant plasma was. I found it very interesting that I am the only universal donor. I can donate blood to any blood type. That makes me feel good. It is digcouraging though when I try to donate and cant becuase my iron is low (I'm anemic) or my blood pressure is too high.

    ReplyDelete