Monday, February 9, 2009

Starting off right into Anatomy part 2

Over the first week, we learned about the Nervous System. More specifically about the axons parts and pieces. Axons line the nervous system. They are longs fibers of nerve cells that carry efferent messages. (Efferent-carries away from reference point, also deals with motor neurons. The neuron sends electrical impulses from its cell body through the axon to target cells. Each nerve cell has one axon. Also how the neurotransmitters along with receptors allow dendrites to bind with other shapes. The neurotransmitter is the chemical in the chemically regulated channels (CRC).
I always love to learn new information especially dealing with our amazing human body. Some things we learn are just incredable, for example the fight or flight response (sympathetic)when your body goes through a stressful situation. I remember a couple Christmas Eve's ago, I was at my families regular holiday shin-dig.
When all of a sudden I felt as if I couldnt breathe and they was soemthing stuck in my throat. My parents rushed me to the emergency room and later that night, I was told I would never be able to eat peanuts, peanut butter, peanut flour, nothing that involved peanuts. At the age of 17, I had become allergic to peanut products. The fight or flight really took affect that night, thank goodness!

1 comment:

  1. I like how in the first paragraph you were really detailed in explaining the nervous system. The thing I enjoyed the most about reading this blog was how you started to write about the sympathetic system and then you used a story about your life to tie into the information you were talking about. I thought it was a great touch to your blog.

    ReplyDelete